dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Timestamping

Trevor;

I also agree.  I think that in the end we can go with either approach and
come up with a token format that is acceptable.  However, I believe that the
semantics of the timestamping case are different enough to warrant a
different syntax.  Certainly this is how PKIX felt and that is why they
developed the syntax they did.  Now ISO/IEC and ANSI are adopting this
model.  I don't think that we should simply adopt a certain model in this TC
just because others are doing so, but I think it is worthwhile to ask
ourselves why they are all adopting this model and see if the same reasons
are appropriate here.

Regarding you point of the "Identified Requester" use case, I think that
even in this case the server is signing the document, with the intent of
proving origin or expressing agreement (at some level).  However, they are
performing this signature on behalf of someone else.  That information (who
the "someone else" is) should be available if it matters to the relying
party, but isn't always important.

If a Review Authority is signing documents to signify approval, then I would
argue that this is a form of agreeing with the content of the document.

	Robert.