dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Groups - dss-requirements-1.0-draft-02.doc uploaded

I was thinking of references to the XML document and the transform.  Having
two copies of the same document raises questions as to which is the
"orginal" if they differ.

> So the transforms (in this and other cases) still might need to be
> protected.  But that raises another question about this use case - is the
> best way to do this by putting the transforms in a ds:Manifiest?  I would
> say it's better to include them as a signed attribute, so you're
> guaranteed
> that they're verified by a relying party.

I'm not sure I get the significance of putting them in an attribute.  Why
does this give greater assurance that the relying party will verify it?
This is an issue that should be controlled through the user's policy, not
the standard.  It is a question of risk whether a relying party would depend
on the integrity of the style sheet.  It may be that even if the style sheet
is corrupted that it is less risk to act on the XML than ignore it (e.g. if
I received a "retreat" message I think that I would act on it even if the
style sheet was corrupt.)

Nick