dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Groups - dss-requirements-1.0-draft-02.doc uploaded

Hi,

some thoughts that came up during a discussion with a colleague:

consider this:
User constructs an XML document and a corresponding transformation that
outputs an HTML version of the XML. The transform embeds some code into
the HTML such that the representation of the HTML depends on the one who
looks at the HTML. (A verifier might see something completely different
than the signer.)
The policy says something like "the signer agrees with what he/she saw
after the signed transformation was applied to the signed XML"

In that case, we're in trouble, and even signing the two representations
won't solve the problem.

IMHO, the XML and the transform should be signed, and the rest should be
left to be specified by people who adopt this standard. They can specify
their policies in an appropriate way. The extra attribute with "this is
what the user saw" might be a part of the solution.

There exist some nice papers about the WISYWIS problem wrt XML and if some
TC members are interested, I would be happy to look them up.

best regards,

Karel.