dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] Gregor's comments on req draft 02 (WAS: RE: [dss] Groups -dss-requirements-1.0-draft-02.doc uploaded)

At 11:58 AM 3/31/2003 +0200, Gregor Karlinger wrote:

> > Trevor wrote:
> > Right, but when the client wants to determine verification
> > status at some
> > time in the past, does he want to know what the server *thought* the
> > verification status was then, or what the server *currently
> > thinks* the
> > verification status was then.  I'm pretty sure it's the
> > latter, just wanted
> > to check.
>
>No. The service should verify the signature based on revocation info
>for the date requested by the client. What would be the sense of pro-
>viding a date in the past, if the service verified based on current
>revocation info?

Should the service verify based on the information it currently has about
that date in the past, or should it verify based on the data it had then?

That is, is the service trying to give it's best answer about whether the
signature was valid on that date, or is it trying to simulate how it would
have responded on that date?

Trevor