dss message

Subject: dss_requirements_draft_8

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/2861/dss_requirements_draft_8.pdf
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/2860/dss_requirements_draft_8.doc

I'd been trying to squeak by making minimal changes, on the theory that
most people weren't complaining, it was probably good enough, and a lot of
text had been contributed by other people or debated over so I didn't want
to disturb any precarious balances.  But it was becoming apparent that some
things were totally unclear, our concepts no longer fit the organization,
and spot changes had left it messier and messier.

So I refactored it substantially, and rewrote a number of parts.  I
apologize for this so late in the game, but I think the result is a lot
cleaner.  Please review, and make sure I didn't do too much damage..

Larger changes -

  - It assumes the Signing Protocol will be used for time-stamping.  I know
Ed disagrees, but for the moment he's outvoted by me and a co-chair
(congratulations Nick!).

  - Discussions of time-stamping and authentication were cut, as these
didn't bear on the protocol but were of a tutorial nature summarizing
different authentication methods (old 3.3.4) and time-stamping rationales
(old 3.2.2).  I figured these were unnecessary, and this document should
just focus us being a target for protocol design.

  - "Intended Audience" added per Tim's request

  - "Signing Policy" and "Verification Policy" were renamed "Implicit
Parameters" with the text: "These parameters, and any others that aren't
explicitly dealt with, are implicit in the URI at which the client accesses
the server."  Calling them policies was a disaster.  Does this work?  On
the con-call was there mention of something more WSDL-specific?

  - On the Verifying Request, there's a new "Request for Updated
Signature", where the client asks the client to "update" the signature
after verifying it by adding a timestamp, or validation info, or whatever,
with the exact details determined by the "implicit parameters".  This was
intended to subsume EPM Verify / ApplyPostmark, and the old 3.7.4 and
3.7.5.  I know we're still thinking about this, but I wanted to put in
something, even just a placeholder.

  - "Signature Verification Steps" added per Andreas and Juan Carlos' request

  - Notion of "profiles" was elaborated: "The request/response protocols,
signature formats, and bindings, can all be profiled.  A combination of
these profiles is an Application Profile that can be used to address a
particular use case.  DSS server or client implementations will be
compliant with particular application profiles of DSS, not with DSS
itself."  Hopefully this clarifies the ways we were using the word.

Trevor