dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Scope of electronic signature

John,

Currently, I believe the question with regards DSS is not whether the method
provides an Electronic Signature, but whether this method constitutes
Digital Signature.

DSS, by its name, and the mechanisms on which DSS builds (e.g. W3C XML
signatures and CMS) clearly relate to Digital Signatures.  Also, Statement
of Purpose of DSS clearly assumes that a digital signature involves use of
keyed mechanisms. Similarly, W3C signatures assume the use of keyed
signature algorithms.

Thus, I am not sure that an association between a hash and authentication in
a database can be considered to be a digital signature.  This, however, does
not necessarily stop it being an electronic signature.

However, this does not say that the DSS protocol would not be of use in
usage scenarios with hash and authenticated identity.  The DSS protocol
could be used to obtain a secure association of a hash and secure
authenticated identity which is protected by a digital signature.

Nick