dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Scope of electronic signature

At 10:32 PM 10/2/2003 +0100, Nick Pope wrote:

>John,
>
>Currently, I believe the question with regards DSS is not whether the method
>provides an Electronic Signature, but whether this method constitutes
>Digital Signature.
>
>DSS, by its name, and the mechanisms on which DSS builds (e.g. W3C XML
>signatures and CMS) clearly relate to Digital Signatures.  Also, Statement
>of Purpose of DSS clearly assumes that a digital signature involves use of
>keyed mechanisms. Similarly, W3C signatures assume the use of keyed
>signature algorithms.

But see my response here -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dss/200309/msg00111.html

The point of our protocol is for clients to produce/verify signatures
without caring about implementation details.  Whether the hash is
associated with an entity through a cryptographic key or a database entry
is, I would argue, an irrelevant detail.

A cryptographic key is one way to produce an "authenticated channel" for
transporting a hash value.  A secure database is another way.

If you did a little work profiling XML-DSIG, like my post suggested, then a
client should be able to access a Database-backed DSS server to sign/verify
with no problems.

Trevor