dss message

Subject: DSS-TC 23 February 2004 meeting minutes

MEETING MINUTES FOR  DSS Telephone conference
Date:   Monday, 23 February 2004
Time:   12:00 pm - 01:00pm Eastern Time

Attendees:
Voting  Members:
John Messing
Pieter Kasselman
Michael McIntosh
Anthony  Nadalin
Krishna Yellepeddy
Juan Carlos Cruellas
Trevor Perrin
Nick Pope
John Ross
Frederick Hirsch
David Finkelstein
Dimitri Andivahis
Ed  Shallow

Prospective member:
Paul Madsen

Agenda:
1 Welcome  by chair (Nick Pope)

2. Confirm  Minutes Secretary (Krishna Yellepeddy)
Confirmed.

3. Roll  Call.
Quorum achieved ( 13 voting  members, 11 needed)

4. Approval of  Agenda
No discussion

5. Approval of Minutes of DSS TC  conference call:
- 12 January 2004     - Approved
- 26 January  2004    - Approved
- 9 Feb  2004         - Approved

6. Review of outstanding actions (see below)
03-12-15-3 - Paul Madsen policy-wise server  profile: how to use DSS
protocol when  all hash mechanism, etc., issues are handled by
server. Paul to send a note to the list
Paul - have sent a draft profile to the list.   Item closed.

04-02-07-1 -  Trevor to raise issue on list: of one server might support more than
one timestamping mechanism on  list.

   Discussion about profile identifier being included in main structure of  requests.
 .  Like not to see it as
        a mandatory  element, but as an optional element. Agreement to make mandatory
        for server  to recognize  this element, but optional for client  to include in  protocol .

         Item closed.

04-02-07-2 - All  to review bindings and let TC know if agree with SOAP Message
Security binding is needed

        We have HTTP binding,  do we need SOAP binding ?
         ACTION  04-02-23-1 - Trevor to take description  of SOAP binding from another protocol defined
        by OASIS ( e.g. SAML),   and add this to DSS core document with the editorial note that  additional/special attention needed for this.

Additional item not in  minutes
04-02-07-3 - Nick to raise  with Juan Carlos use of QNames Property Identifiers

        Juan - Agreement among  members for use of URI instead of QName for identifying properties.
        Trevor - Not a  good idea to put a DSS related URI in other namespaces.
        Nick - Persons writing  profile use their judgement to decide whether to use own URI
                or URI existing in other namespace.

7. Discussion on profiles

7.1 Nomination of the coordinator
- Agreement to appoint Trevor Perrin as  technical coordinator requires formal
confirmation

         CONFIRMED.

7.2 Report on  the status of the work for each of the profiles.
-Time-stamp

        Trevor - if we have a  generic profile that supports any time stamp and have
        a specific profile   with a specific timestamp definition, which time stamp
        elements do clients and  servers use ?

         ACTION   04-02-23-2 - Trevor to put in wording for handling  this in Time Stamp profile

-  Code-signing
         Pieter expects to look at this in the next 2 weeks. Continue discussion  at future
         meetings.

- EPM
         Ed - A few issues to settle before this profile can be completed.  Issues: are
         timestamps concrete or abstract and how we inherit from multiple  profiles
         Can we de-scope the profile and say we'll expand it later ?

        Final conclusion was to  de-scope - write a base line EPM profile with a couple
        of inputs and outputs and  release this basic profile. Work over the summer to
        release the rest.

- WSsecurity
        Frederick: This should come out after the  more foundational ones.
         Tony: WSS defines a SOAP profile, SAML defines a SOAP profile.   We need to look
               at both.

- XAdES
         Juan Carlos - posted discussion document to the list with  scope, requirements and
          whole life cycle of XAdES digital signatures.
        Nick - how far  from XAdES profile being available ?
        Juan Carlos - end of March, early April for  first round.

         ACTION  04-02-23-3 - Juan Carlos, Nick, Ed to  discuss feasibility of protocol that supports both
        ASN.1 and XML and report at  next meeting.

- German Signature Law
        This profile not  expected in first round.

         ACTION  04-02-23-3  - Nick to get an idea of  timetable from Andreas Kuehne

-  Policy wise server

         ACTION  04-02-23-4 - on all. See how this profiles  fits in with other profiles.

- Entity seal
        John Messing - Entity seal is much broader  than Judicial Signing.
         Nick - worth mentioning Notarial profile
       John Messing - The use of a DSS eNotary profile is to be discussed at the  next eNotaries TC.

- Judicial signing
        See comments on entity seal.

7.3 Coordination document report on  status
         Trevor reported  that no this document was currently a collection of the profile  outlines.

8. Report on  status of Core document.
         We made core document available by end of 2003, as per  schedule. Aiming for first set of profiles
        by end of March/April.
        Frederick - let's aim for  an Oasis committee draft before starting the formal process for
         standardization.  You can have more than one committee draft.

        We had  agreement on the goal of preparing a committee draft of Core document and  timestamp profile
         by end of March.  Profiles for code signing, EPM, XAdES, Entity  seal a month or so later.

9 Work  plan
Note: In the F2F last summer we  had aimed to have the first set of profiles ready

for end March.  When can initial drafts be  expected?  A couple of months are probably needed to polish off these  drafts.

         See 8. above

10. Approval  and implementation plans

Note: The  rules for approval of an OASIS standard is that: "Certification by at least  three OASIS member organizations that they are successfully using the  specification consistently with the OASIS IPR Policy;"
How would this be applied to DSS?

        Will discuss this in next  meeting.

11. Any other  business
         None

12. Confirm next conference  call: 8th March 04

         CONFIRMED

Close

Regards,
  Krishna