dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Discussion on outstanding issues for the core.

Ed,

This suggests to me that for at least Multiple detached we do no try and
solve everything in core, just make it extensible enough for this to be done
in a profile.

I do not like the third option of mixing the input document and
signatureObject structure.  This make things more complicated.

I certainly would not like to remove detached signatures to profiles.
However, delegating handling multiple detached signatures to a profile seems
reasonable.

I believe that the SignatureObject is already flexible enough to be
extensible to allow for alternative forms of signature.  So I see no need to
make it even more "unbounded".

So my preference would be to keep the the handling of multiple detached
signatures either unsupported or undefined in the core.  The syntax I
believe is already flexible to enable this, the processing rule just need to
be suffiently this to be handled by profiles.

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward Shallow [mailto:ed.shallow@rogers.com]
Sent: 10 May 2004 19:26
To: 'Nick Pope'; 'Trevor Perrin'
Cc: dss@lists.oasis-open.org

Nick,

   Good question. I had thought that if it is XMLDSIG (not CMS) and
detached, callers are presently encouraged to place the References in
InputDocuments and the Signature in SignatureObject. Since the
SignatureObject is not unbounded, we are stuck.

   We could

1) make SignatureObject unbounded

2) relegate detached to profiles

3) callers place Referenced signed content in 1st InputDocument,
Signature(s) in 2nd InputDocument, and
SignatureObject|SignaturePtr|WhichDocument pointing to 2nd. This is closest
to what we have now.

I had earlier held out the possibility that the WhichDocument element of
SignaturePtr could be used as required by the implementation to locate
signature(s). Please refer to original "Suggestions" note.

As you can see, when you begin to tax the current spec in the
SignatureObject area, it quickly shows its narrow focus. I would have
preferred making InputDocuments the foundation of the request side of the
verify protocol with qualifying elements to state things like "signature
present", "target of reference", "multiple signatures present", and things
like that. After all a signature is fundamentally a signed document, in this
case a signed InputDocument. InputDocuments can easily be specified to
represent References, Signed Content, multi-signed Content, 2 of 5, etc ...

Ed