dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] Discussion on outstanding issues for the core.

Yeah, looks pretty good. See minor tweaks inter-mixed.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Trevor Perrin" <trevp@trevp.net>
To: <ed.shallow@rogers.com>; "'Nick Pope'" <pope@secstan.com>
Cc: <dss@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 10:23 PM

> Okay, I think I got it.  These are the changes I'll make, unless someone
> objects:
>
>   - <SignatureObject> can contain a CMS detached or enveloping
> signature.  If enveloping, <InputDocuments> is omitted.
>
>   - <SignatureObject> can contain an XML enveloping signature.  If
> enveloping, <InputDocuments> may or may not be present, and
at least a partial DTD
> identifying ID attributes needs to be transmitted as part of the document.
>
>   - <SignatureObject> can be omitted entirely, if there's only a single
> Input Document.  In this case, the Input Document *must* contain at least
> one <ds:Signature> element.  The server will find and verify this
> element.  A DTD identifying ID attributes must be transmitted
as part of the document.  If there
> are multiple <ds:Signature> elements, the server must verify them all, or
> else return a NotSupported error.  If an error occurs verifying multiple
> signatures, the first error will be returned.  Signature-specific optional
> inputs or outputs are not allowed if the server is verifying multiple
> signatures.
We should invite implementations to explore the InvalidDetail unbounded
element of ProcessingDetails if they wish to return error information on 2nd
and subsequent signatures.

>   - If there are multiple Input Documents,
> <SignatureObject/SignaturePtr/WhichDocument> can be used to indicate the
> input document containing the signatures, which will be processed as
above.

>   - In the preceding 3 cases, the server may find that some ds:Reference's
> point to XML content within the signature's Input Document
(in the case of enveloped signatures)
or Signature Object (in the case of enveloping signatures),
and some point to other Input Documents.
The server should first check any <ds:Reference/@URI> that may be present
against each Input Document's RefURI, and if a
> match is not found, then try to resolve barename XPointers against the
> signature's Input Document or Signature Object.
It was for this reason that I wanted to collapse SignatureObject,
SignaturePtr, and WhichDocument into simpler constructs within a tweaked
InputDocument structure. Given what we are doing, it improves readability.
I'll defer to the will of the majority though.

>   - Otherwise, verification proceeds as currently spec'd
>

> Trevor
>

> At 12:47 PM 5/10/2004 -0400, Edward Shallow wrote:
> >Nick and Trevor,
> >
> >    Nick seems to be favoring some basic rules for the core. I assume
Nick,
> >you feel that if one goes beyond these basic rules, we ought to relegate
> >profiles. O.K. so let's define the basic rules. Rather than repeat all
the
> >points in the "Suggestions" note, I'll only add to them. I'll just keep
this
> >to short point form for now. Here are some very basic rules to govern the
> >crafting of the outstanding semantics. There is some repetition, but feel
> >free to adjust as you see fit:
> >
> >- an InputDocument can contain a single signature or may contain multiple
> >signatures
> >
> >- use of the SignatureObject element is optional when both signature(s)
and
> >References are self-contained in a given InputDocument
> >
> >- if multiple signatures are present, the implementation must either:
> >      1) Verify all signatures, or
> >      2) return urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:result:NotSupported if they
cannot
> >perform the Verify
> >
> >- implementations are free to support the verification of multiple
> >signatures that may appear in a given InputDocument
> >
> >- implementations can limit their XMLDSIG verification support to one
> >signature at a time either using the SignaturePtr, or without it
> >
> >- the SignaturePtr element should be initialized by the caller when
> >verification of a "specific" signature is required
> >
> >- on a verify, SignatureObject can be omitted, in which case the caller
is
> >responsible for initializing the InputDocuments element with the
signature
> >and referenced content to be verified
> >
> >- in either scenario all signature References must be unambiguous and
> >self-contained within the InputDocument as either an enveloped or
enveloping
> >signature
> >
> >- callers whose signature References make use of Id tags (e.g. of type
ID)