dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] JPMorgan/RSA message

At 10:53 AM 10/18/2004 -0400, Glenn.Benson@chase.com wrote:

>Yes, Trevor is correct.  n PSTP, the Signature Gateway holds the private
>keying material of the asymmetric pair.  The client authenticates him or
>herself with the OTP.
>
>The <ReturnUpdatedSignature> field is interesting; however, its semantics
>may be a bit too narrow: "Alternatively, the output may contain an entirely
>new signature on the same input documents as the input signature".  While
>these semantics are useful, other alternatives may also be applicable.  For
>example, we could potentially permit the output to contain a signature of
>the client's signature.

The semantics for <ReturnUpdatedSignature> are meant to be undefined so
that profiles can have it mean whatever they want.

The previous sentence to the one you cite says "The <UpdatedSignature>
optional output may contain the original signature with some additional
unsigned signature properties added to it", which allows for
counter-signing of the original signature, as you mention.  However, that
entire paragraph should be prefaced with "For example, ", which I'll add in
next draft.

Trevor