dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] JPMorgan/RSA message

Glenn,

I'm still trying to figure what parts of your technology overlap with DSS,
and how they'd fit into profiles.  It seems there's 3 pieces:

  1) An authentication technology (PSTP) for authenticating clients to
signature servers.  This could be an "abstract profile" of DSS, profiling
the <ClaimedIdentity> optional input to carry a PSTP signature (abstract
profiles can be combined with other profiles; see Paul Madsen's profile
integration doc:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/6175/profile-integration-01.doc).

  2) The concept of an inline Signature Gateway.  It's not clear how this
fits with DSS.  Are DSS <SignRequest> messages sent inline as well?  Or
does the inline server call a DSS server?

  3) A way of augmenting a signature (adding a MAC
counter-signature).  This is more a profile of the signature format than of
the DSS protocol, but could make sense in DSS, if it's a DSS server doing
the augmenting.

If this is a good breakdown, I'm curious which pieces you're interested in
standardizing through DSS, and how you'd want to factor things (i.e., would
pieces be reusable apart from the whole)?

Trevor