dss message

Subject: Namespace inheritance, other approach

I'm wondering if the <XMLData> namespace-inheritance issue is less of a
problem than we thought, and can be handled more elegantly than with
opaque encodings.

The problem is that dss namespace prefixes could confuse the
interpretation of documents, keys, or signatures (<XMLData>,
<KeySelector>, or <SignatureObject> respectively), since these things
are all XML structures that might be ripped out of their original
context and plopped in DSS messages.

Problems can occur due to:
  1) XML structure uses namespace prefixes not defined by DSS
  2) XML structure uses namespace prefixes defined differently by DSS
  3) processing of XML structure depends on namespace prefixes "in
context" (e.g. XML canonicalization of an input document)

1) is resolved by canonicalizing the XML structure, so it defines the
prefixes it uses.

2) is resolved by choosing prefixes for dss that don't collide (i.e., if
your document uses xmnls:dss, then use something else for DSS itself).

3) is resolved by specifying slightly different processing rules to
exclude DSS-inherited context.  For example, in Signature Basic
Processing, the Server should use Exclusive Canonicalization instead of
Normal Canonicalization.

The reason the core spec mandates Normal Canonicalization is because
XML-DSIG mandates Normal Canonicalization, for converting XML to
octet-strings during Reference processing.  But applying Exclusive
Canonicalization on the Input Document, as it appears within the DSS
message, is actually the *same thing* as applying Normal
Canonicalization on the Input Document itself, I think.  Because
Exclusive Canonicalization is the same as Normal, just omitting
irrelevant namespaces.

I haven't thought this through.  It would be helpful if other people
with more XML experience could spend time on this.  There's several
other places that process the Input Documents as XML that need
consideration (for example, the <SignaturePlacement> option for
signature insertion).  But I'm cautiously hopeful we can make things
work with relatively minor spec changes.

Trevor