dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] Namespace inheritance, other approach

Konrad,

I'm still not sure I grasp all your points.  Let me try a concrete
proposal.  Tell me if there's problems with this -

Proposal
---------
We add a <NamespaceContext> XML element for use in passing XML input
documents and signatures.  This specifies namespace prefixes that are
part of the original context of the <ds:Signature> or Input Document.
It MUST contain all such namespace prefixes that are not declared within
the <ds:Signature> or Input Document.

The <ds:Signature> and Input Document still need to declare any
namespace prefixes they use.  If they fail to do so, the server shall
return an error (not for security reasons, but to help detect
client-side mistakes).  It's unnecessary (but ok) for a namespace prefix
that is declared and used in the signature/input document to also be in
the <NamespaceContext>.

The <NamespaceContext> supplies the missing context that is needed for
canonicalization.  It would look like:

<SignatureObject>
   <NamespaceContext>
     <Namespace prefix="sxs" value="urn:..."/>
     <Namespace prefix="wsp" value="http://..."/>
   </NamespaceContext>
   <ds:Signature>
   </ds:Signature>
</SignatureObject>

<Document>
   <NamespaceContext>
     <Namespace prefix="sxs" value="urn:..."/>
     <Namespace prefix="wsp" value="http://..."/>
   </NamespaceContext>
   <XMLData>
   </XMLData>
</Document>

To convert the Input Document or the <ds:Signature>/<SignedInfo> to
Canonical XML, as is necessary during signature creation and validation,
the server applies Exclusive Canonicalization.  The namespace prefixes
from <NamespaceContext> are passed to the Exclusive Canonicalization
algorithm as an "InclusiveNamespacesPrefixList".

If my understanding of Canonical and Exclusive Canonical XML is correct,
the result will not include the DSS protocol namespace context (since
Exclusive Canonicalization omits surrounding context) but it will
include the original namespace context specified as an
InclusiveNamespacesPrefixList.

(Note: I have trouble understanding the Canonical XML specs.  I hope
others with more expertise can review this).

Trevor