dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] Namespace inheritance, other approach

Martin Centner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> AFAIK, PIs may appear anywhere in the document. Only the XML declaration
> (<?XML ... ) and the document type declaration may only appear in the
> prolog. However, those two types do not appear in the XPath data model
> so, they cannot be sigend anyway. Thus, they could simply be omitted
> when transmitting the whole document withing the <dss:XMLData> element.
> When the document type declaration has to be evaluated (ex. for proper
> recognition of xsd:Id-attributes) the document has to be re-parsed
> anyway. So, why not transmitting it using base64 encoding in this case?

At one point we were transmitting the DTD separately, in base64-encoded
form.  I suppose that's still an option (as is transmitting the DTD
within the input document and encoding everything, as is transmitting
Schemas, as is eliminating server de-referencing of ds:References, etc.:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dss/200505/msg00019.html
)

Is there anything about processing instructions that causes problems, or
necessitates base64 encoding?

Trevor