dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] Namespace inheritance, other approach

Martin,

Thanks for your comments.  I think I understand the concern, now, about
transmitting all "nodes of the underlying parse tree", so further
transforms can be applied properly on the server-side.  My idea of using
a special <NamespaceContext> element to transmit some of these nodes
works for exclusive canonicalization, but this context would be lost for
other transforms.

Let me try another proposal:
  - Clients have to add any inherited namespace prefixes as attributes
of the root node of an Input Document or signature.
  - To apply XML transforms, servers must ignore encompassing namespace
context from the DSS request.  In particular, to apply Canonical XML,
servers must actually apply Exclusive Canonical XML.  (I'm not sure what
rules to specify for applying XPath - probably we'll have to disallow
certain types of XPath expression or something.  I assume we can figure
this out, and I think server-side XPath will be a rare case anyways, so
if we have to disallow or add constraints on it, that's OK).

Anyways, how does this sound?

Trevor