dss message

Subject: FW: [dss] Text as required by action 06-06-05-02 - revised

Apologies - in my haste missed a change to one of the new pieces of text -
disregard my prev mail.

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Pope [mailto:nickpope@secstan.com]
Sent: 12 June 2006 16:53
To: OASIS DSS TC; Juan Carlos Cruellas
Subject: FW: [dss] Text as required by action 06-06-05-02

Juan Carlos,

As we discussed following Inmas comment on RFC 3161 timestamp on XML
signatures and looking into your proposals, I suggest:

a) That we reword 3.5.2.2 (and the equivalent in section 4) to explicetly
cover the case of XML Timestamps on XML Signatures

b) That we add a 3.5.2.3 (and equivalent in section 4) to cover the case of
RFC 3161 Timestamps on XML Signatures

c) That these clauses be re-worded to apply IF the type attribute is RFC
3161 / XMLtimestamp urn as appropriate (leaving open for other timestamp
types).

See below specific revisions to your proposals.

Nick

3. Add below
"The following subsections specify the use of RFC 3161 timestamps with CMS
signatures and the use of XML Timestamps or RFC 3161 timestamps for both
scenarios."

4 Line 1060 Change title to:
"3.5.2.2 Processing for XML Timestamps on XML signatures"

> 5. Section 3.5.2.2 lines 1068 to 1072 page 27
>
> Proposal. Substitute the whole paragraph from these lines to the
> following one:
>
> "The present specification defines a format for XML timestamp tokens. In
> addition
> XAdES defines a mechanism for incorporating signature timestamps in XML
> signatures.
[Previous proposal to be replaced as below]

If the type attribute in this optional input is
urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:core:schema:XMLTimeStampToken then the XML
signature
MUST contain a <dss:timestamp> as defined in section 5.1, placed in a
<xades:XMLTimeStamp> within a <xades:SignatureTimeStamp> as defined in
[XAdES].

> RATIONALE: This text clearly indicates our resolution, ie:
>
> 	. Any XML time-stamp over the signature is created, MUST follow the
> syntax that we define;
> 	. Incorporation must be as specified in XAdES.
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> 6. Section 3.5.2.2 line 1078, page 27
>
> Original text: "urn:ietf:rfc:3275"
>
> Proposed text: "urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:core:schema:XMLTimeStampToken"
>
> RATIONALE: I think that the previous value was a mistake: it identified
> a XML signature, not the XML time-stamp
> token, as it must do.

7. Add section 3.5.2.3  Processing for RFC 3161 Timestamps on XML signatures

[New text to be produced based on existing 3.5.2.2]

> -------------------------------------

7+.  Replace line 1523, 1524 with

 - RFC 3161 Timestamps on CMS signatures
 - XML Timestamps on XML Signatures
 - RFC 3161 Timestamps on XML Signatures

> 8. Section 4.3.2 line 1524 page 37
>
> Original text: "XML signature timestamp tokens"
>
> Proposed text: "XML timestamps tokens on XML signatures"
Delete "-" in "time-stamp" and corrected spelling in original

> RATIONALE: Actually the case that we are dealing with is the signature
> time-stamp token in XML syntax for
> XML signatures, and the former text was not completelly clear on what
> was XML the signature, the time-stamp
> or both. I think that the proposed text is clearer.
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> 9. Section 4.3.2 line 1528, page 37
>
> Original text: "the DSS XAdES profile defines"
>
> Proposed text: "the DSS AdES profile [DSS-AdES-P] defines"
>
> RATIONALE: As in proposal 1.
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> 10. Section 4.3.2.2 line 1556 page 38
>
> Original text: "Processing for XML timestamp tokens"
>
> Proposed text: "Processing for XML timestamps tokens on XML signatures."
>
> RATIONALE: In the line of what I said in proposal 6.
>

> -------------------------------------
>
> 11. Section 4.3.2.2 line 1557, page 38
>
> Original text: "The present setion describes the processing rules for
> verifying and XML Signature timestamp
> token embedded within an XML signature as an unsigned property."
>
> Proposed text 1 : "The present setion describes the processing rules for
> verifying and XML Signature timestamp
> token embedded within an XML signature using the incorporation
> mechanisms specified in XAdES."
>
> Proposed text 1 : "The present setion describes the processing rules for
> verifying and XML Signature timestamp
> token embedded within an XML signature using the incorporation
> mechanisms specified in XAdES (i.e., in the
> <xades:XMLTimeStamp> <xades:SignatureTimeStamp> element's child )."
>
> RATIONALE: As agreed explicit mention to XAdES as for how the XML
> time-stamp must come within the XML signature.
> The only doubt I have is about the degree of detail. That is why there
> are two proposed text, being the second
> more detailed, as it explicitly mentions where the XML time-stamp token
> will appear... We can talk on them in
> the conf call.

12) Add new section 4.3.2.3 XML timestamps tokens on XML signatures

[Text to be produced based on 4.3.2.1 & 4.3.2.2