Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] Signals suggestions

Thank you Martin for these suggestions which I support.

I belive it is an excellent idea to separatelly define transaction
patterns/type and relate them to signal/message definitions.
Subclassing a general but empty (maybe only request message is defined)
transaction is a good modeling practice.

I offer the following texts from the legal conventions for consideration
*  "UNCITRAL Model Law on Electronic Commerce", as 85th plenary meeting
* US "UNIFORM ELECTRONIC TRANSACTIONS ACT (1999)"

These particular articles and sections show that is also important to
address "dispatch" and "reach" of messages and signals. By reading legal
ecommerce conventions is is clear that a legal effect could be defined
at time of dispatch OR reach.
Clearly by adding seperate message and signal specification for
transactions types this will assist in defining specific Dispatch, Reach
conditions in CPA and later UBAC TPA.

"/Article 15.  Time and place of dispatch and receipt of data messages/

(1)  Unless otherwise agreed between the originator and the addressee,
the dispatch of a data message occurs when it enters an information
system outside the control of the originator or of the person who sent
the data message on behalf of the originator.

(2)  Unless otherwise agreed between the originator and the addressee,
the time of receipt of a data message is determined as follows:

    (a) if the addressee has designated an information system for the
    purpose of receiving data messages, receipt occurs:

    (i) at the time when the data message enters the designated
    information system; or

    (ii) if the data message is sent to an information system of the
    addressee that is not the designated information system, at the time
    when the data message is retrieved by the addressee;

    (b) if the addressee has not designated an information system,
    receipt occurs when the data message enters an information system of
    the addressee.

(3)  Paragraph (2) applies notwithstanding that the place where the
information system is located may be different from the place where the
data message is deemed to be received under paragraph (4).

(4)  Unless otherwise agreed between the originator and the addressee, a
data message is deemed to be dispatched at the place where the
originator has its place of business, and is deemed to be received at
the place where the addressee has its place of business. For the
purposes of this paragraph:

    (a) if the originator or the addressee has more than one place of
    business, the place of business is that which has the closest
    relationship to the underlying transaction or, where there is no
    underlying transaction, the principal place of business;

    (b) if the originator or the addressee does not have a place of
    business, reference is to be made to its habitual residence.

(5)  The provisions of this article do not apply to the following: [...].

"

"SECTION 15. TIME AND PLACE OF SENDING AND RECEIPT.
(a) Unless otherwise agreed between the sender and the recipient, an
electronic record is sent when it:
(1) is addressed properly or otherwise directed properly to an
information processing system that the recipient has designated or uses
for the
purpose of receiving electronic records or information of the type sent
and from
which the recipient is able to retrieve the electronic record;
(2) is in a form capable of being processed by that system; and
(3) enters an information processing system outside the control of the
sender or of a person that sent the electronic record on behalf of the
sender or enters
a region of the information processing system designated or used by the
recipient
which is under the control of the recipient.
(b) Unless otherwise agreed between a sender and the recipient, an
electronic record is received when:
(1) it enters an information processing system that the recipient has
designated or uses for the purpose of receiving electronic records or
information of
the type sent and from which the recipient is able to retrieve the
electronic record;
and
(2) it is in a form capable of being processed by that system.
(c) Subsection (b) applies even if the place the information processing
system is located is different from the place the electronic record is
deemed to be
received under subsection (d).
(d) Unless otherwise expressly provided in the electronic record or agreed
between the sender and the recipient, an electronic record is deemed to
be sent from
the sender’s place of business and to be received at the recipient’s
place of business.
For purposes of this subsection, the following rules apply:
(1) If the sender or recipient has more than one place of business, the
place of business of that person is the place having the closest
relationship to the
underlying transaction.

(2) If the sender or the recipient does not have a place of business, the
place of business is the sender’s or recipient’s residence, as the case
may be.
(e) An electronic record is received under subsection (b) even if no
individual is aware of its receipt.
(f) Receipt of an electronic acknowledgment from an information processing
system described in subsection (b) establishes that a record was
received but, by
itself, does not establish that the content sent corresponds to the
content received.
(g) If a person is aware that an electronic record purportedly sent under
subsection (a), or purportedly received under subsection (b), was not
actually sent
or received, the legal effect of the sending or receipt is determined by
other
applicable law. Except to the extent permitted by the other law, the
requirements of
this subsection may not be varied by agreement.
Source: UNCITRAL Model Law on Electronic Commerce Article 15."

However I dont support that these issues are related to any external
context transformations. I strongly suggest to attack the issues within
the BP model before adding external features.

/Anders W.Tell

--
/ Business Collaboration Toolsmiths /