Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] Signals suggestions

martin.me.roberts@bt.com wrote:

> With these two modifications we could allow BPSS to offer support for
> the default set of patterns, but also we could allow other external
> subclasses of patterns to be developed to cover off use cases such as
> those that Anders Tell has requested (revocation based negotiations).
> As these would not be directly in BPSS, people such as the UBAC team
> could trial their use before getting them adopted into later BPSS
> versions.

Some background information on future messages and signals in
OfferAcceptance - transaction pattern.

 From the "United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International
Sale of Goods (Vienna 1980) ("CISG")
<http://www.uncitral.org/english/texts/sales/CISG.htm>."

REVOCATION
---------------
"Article 16
(1) Until a contract is concluded an offer may be revoked if the
revocation reaches the offeree before he has dispatched an acceptance.
(2) However, an offer cannot be revoked:

(a) if it indicates, whether by stating a fixed time for acceptance or
otherwise, that it is irrevocable; or (b) if it was reasonable for the
offeree to rely on the offer as being irrevocable and the offeree has
acted in reliance on the offer"

LATE ACCEPTANCE and NOTICE
-------------------------------------
"Article 21

(1) A late acceptance is nevertheless effective as an acceptance if
without delay the offeror orally so informs the offeree or dispatches a
notice to that effect.

(2) If a letter or other writing containing a late acceptance shows that
it has been sent in such circumstances that if its transmission had been
normal it would have reached the offeror in due time, the late
acceptance is effective as an acceptance unless, without delay, the
offeror orally informs the offeree that he considers his offer as having
lapsed or dispatches a notice to that effect."

WITHDRAWAL
------------------
"Article 22

An acceptance may be withdrawn if the withdrawal reaches the offeror
before or at the same time as the acceptance would have become effective."

The importance of DISPATCH and REACH

"Article 24

For the purposes of this Part of the Convention, an offer, declaration
of acceptance or any other indication of intention "reaches" the
addressee when it is made orally to him or delivered by any other means
to him personally, to his place of business or mailing address or, if he
does not have a place of business or mailing address, to his habitual
residence."

Best Regards
/anders

--