Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] [ebBP] 3/19/2004: External Content/Context Mechanism [RSD]

drrw@

Monica,

Maybe I went the extra mile here - just responding to everyones
"wish lists" as talked about on various conference calls that
occurred - and figuring - we can do that - for minimal
syntax cost!

My own sense is that Use Case #5 - definately is a bridge too
far for now - (eg - the idea of allowing a BPSS to start to an initial
state and then just sit there awaiting a signal to "go").

I'd be happy with a simpler two use case initial cut - that just
looks at using CAM to provide transaction validation as one,
and then transaction assembly as the other - for V2.0

In any case those are clearly the two big uses - and that
meshes nicely with ebMS V3.0 support for payload
handling service extensions.

Beyond that the functionality around the use of the bpss:
namespace in the context driver XML - can clearly be put
back to V3.0 till we feel more comfortable about that.

However - I would mention that while it may appear we
have allowed unshackled ability to change an aspect of
BPSS function at runtime - this is actually more perscribed -
since the context driver XML - with all these rules and
conditions in - has to be signed off on between
collaboration parties - so anything must pass that
level of business validation and scrutiny and agreement.

This is what I see makes the approach so powerful.
Schema syntax extensions in the BPSS level are largely
invisible to the collaboration parties - agreeing to the
CPA.  However - when you use the context driver XML -
that document must be agreed to -and the intent is that
any overrules for the BPSS are then exposed and
very apparent at that level.

Anyway - clearly we need to ensure checks-and-balances
to guarantee deterministic and predictable behaviours
from BPSS for business users.

Thanks, DW