Subject: [ebBP] 3/28/2004: WI-57-44 Use of and constraints for white space(xsd: string)

Discussion|OASIS.ebBP.WI57-White space usage and constraints;
Topic|;
Point|Request for summary assistance;

mm1@
Sacha,
Can you take the work items 44 and 57 and provide a summary of your
input and recommendations in preparation for the OASIS symposium and TC
discussion in April 2004?

Reference:
Work Item 44 - Constraints on white space - Should constraints be placed
on the use of xsd:string in usage in BPSS or left to implementation and
deployment?
Work Item 57 - Use of white space in xsd:string - Define what facets, if
any should be used on the data types used on all or specific BPSS
elements. In XSD, the xsd:string can use preserve, collapse and replace
whitespace facets to ensure consistency. What should the BPSS use?

The recommendation discussed on the ebXML CPPA-negotiation list and
provided to ebBP is shown below.

I encourage team comments here. Thanks.

===========================================================================================================
Schlegel: I looked up the XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes (W3C
Recommendation 02 May 2001) from
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-2-20010502/
-------------
Section 3.2.1 string

The XML Schema "string" primitive type has constraning facets, such as
length, minLength, maxLength, ... and whiteSpace.

There is a XML built in datatpye derived from string called
"normalizedString"

Section 4.3.6 whiteSpace
The whiteSpace constraint can have 3 values: preserve, replace, and
collapse.

preserve: no normalisation is done.
replace: tabs, line feed and carriage returns are replaced with space
!collapse: contiguous sequences of spaces are collapsed to a single
space. and leading and trailing spaces are removed.

It goes on that the string datatype has whiteSpace set as preserve. A
derived by restriction of string data type can have the whiteSpace set
to collapse.

When I look at the BPSS v1.01 XML Schema I only see the usage of
"xsd:string" data type without any constraints, such as whiteSpace.

It seems to me that the double white space in one of the expression
attributes of a Transition element of the ANCPA BPSS is a problem
because it is of xsd:string which has whitespace set a preserved.

So "abc def" is not equal to "abc  def" if the whiteSpace constraint is
set to preserved.
@mm1