Subject: [ebBP] 4/8/2004: WI-43 Name and NameID [RSD]

Discussion|OASIS.ebBP.WI43-Name and NameID;
Topic|;
Attachment|http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200403/msg00104.html;
Attachment|http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200404/msg00009.html;
Point|Update requested for Solution 2 (Section 4.3);

mm1@
On the proposal provided by Kenji Nagahashi, which we will discuss on
Monday, I request we consider an amendment to Solution 2, Section 43.
Make the Name attribute mandatory.

We are gathering use cases to understand when and how Name and NameID
are used. The mandatory Name is also used by CPPA.

Here is a virtual whiteboard discussion that I had with Dale Moberg and
Hima Mukkamala this week to discuss this item. Dale has also discussed
with his devleopment team. I've provided some brief summary notes:

    * Recommendation not to use both Name and NameID for reference.
      Prefer not to use Name for reference.
    * Some development expertise that favors ID and IDREF.
    * There are at least three industry sectors that are interested in
      this functionality: High technology, automotive and retail.
    * When an include is used, a check is made to ensure there is no
      collision of values in IDREF. Require remapping ID and IDREF.
      Schema parser should enforce that.
    * Discuss what side effects occur if we maintain the Name without
      changing the referring reference. If new module, use same Name and
      NameID without change. The UUID would change but not the IDREF. If
      include changes for new URL, change UUID and URL. There is no
      uniqueness across all modules. Always reference using IDREF.
    * When include, the IDs must be unique (condition for XML validity).
      Qualify include usage with a warning.

For solution 2:

    * Solution should be augmented to have Name as mandatory. The Name
      attributes should be required.
    * Separate concerns-reference using Name ID and capability to
      visualize the process description.
    * Package is a subset of document-scope.
    * Currently, CPPA uses Name for Role value and ActionContext.  If we
      went to GUID, this breaks CPPA reference of BPSS (xsd:id).

I'll open these comments from Dale and Hima to you, some of which were
supported by Martin Roberts (use of IDREF).

Please provide feedback. We'd like to get this rolling for OASIS
Symposium in about 2 weeks! (Gentle reminder!)

@mm1