Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] IBM to Support BPEL-Based Web Services

Matt,

Monica has some interesting slides for the F2F in New Orleans.

My take is this.

o BPEL === EAI with XML scripting instead of Java coding
                + internal process mechanisms that typically
                   are not shared externally
                + limited transaction handling capabilities
                + no context mechanism - instead coding to
                   suit bespoke needs
                + roll your own patterns
                + very programmer-centric
                + WSDL dictates a huge chunk of its behaviour
                   pattern.

o BPSS === inter-enterprise collaborative processing
                    with mature models and patterns builtin
                 + uses classic fullsized transaction based exchanges
                 + supports context driven and role driven
                    mechanisms
                 + very business-centric
                 + binary collaboration and multi-party collaboration
                    patterns with signals and flow control
                 + conforms to international business law patterns
                 + mostly neutral to transport layer

So - depending on who you are in the solution matrix - its
pretty easy to see which toolset you will prefer.

EAI integrators - BPEL, eBusiness solution providers - BPSS.

And nothing to stop you using both in tandem - with more
support for that coming in BPSS V3.0 - some (WSDL) in
V2.0 already.

As to MQ-Series being the uquitous solution - not really!
BizTalk server is more aimed at the common man than
MQ-Series - which is definately top endian.  Then
notice that Cyclone, Sterling, and raft more solutions
are aimed at the significant market of people choosing
not to buy things like MQ-Series.

DW