Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] Clarification - FORK and BusinessTransaction

Yunker, John wrote:Message

> We can get into trouble if we break up the atomicy transactions.

The so called businesstranaction is a key element. It is a 'unit of
shared understanding' in the sense that both partes has the same view
after its execution. Breaking it into pieces would complicate keeping
track of the "business/legal semantics".

Altough the name of Business*Transaction* is highly infortunatelly
because it leads the thoughts to ACID and rollback etc. making a
business statement whether it is by phone, email, ebMS or webservices
are all equal and can very seldom be retracted. So thinking IT ACID
semantics most if the time leads to the wrong conclusions.

I talked today to a retired Judge specialized in eCommerce IT law and
its very much clear that what IT often talk about is far from the legal
doscussion.
An example: I national laws there are rules for when a document has
reached a government organization, these rules vay from country to
country but interesting enough many rules state a document has reached
the organization when the envelope containing the document has beed
handed over to the "janitor". This means that the content, format etc
has NOT been check, validated etc. One doesnt even know the envelope
contains a document or not.
How does this example relate to ebXML, well it could mean that ebMS
Acknowledgement has a meaning which BPSS partially deals with.

/anders

--
/ Business Collaboration Toolsmiths /