Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] FW: Differences between an operation and a BT

Jean-Jacques,

Excellent posting.

Clearly what people are wanting is a sweetspot where they
can use ebXML and webservices together.

I have no reservations in saying that BPSS provides the
business-centric model that is applicable for providing
transaction based solutions.

Snag is when you look at the BPEL alternate world - with
compensation handlers, et al - it looks suspiciously like
re-inventing a database system, stored procedure language,
and distributed interactions like Tuxedo, using XML, some
wire and bits of black tape.   It's certainly nothing any
average business analyst is going to want to learn into
IMHO.

So how to make these two worlds co-exist?

One way is to work with the ebSOA team - I posted
something there today saying that V3 of BPSS could
be feature enabled to support the ebSOA architecture,
and specifically - using Linking and Switching, choice
points and state management as a neutral external service
that directs how both BPSS and WS components can work.

That's one view.

Also - if you view the WS as just an alternate transport
mechanism to ebMS - then another path is to somehow
(not easy) create WSDL definitions that emulate ebMS.
These would be a limited subset - but could work.

If you see what I've done in the BPSS model - it uses
Exchange Profiles - which you name -  like - Normal,
ASAP, Required, One Day, and so on - and then
you set the transport characteristics for that profile
entry.  You then deliver a transaction and pick an
exchange profile for it.   We could easily create
WSDL exchange profiles that emulate a subset of
ebMS - and these could be used for non-critical
paths in the BPSS.

A third option is to specify WS calls to specific
service offerings that do something.   So you
may send someone a ProductAvailabilityRequest
as a transaction via ebMS as normal - but add
an annotation to it - with a WS call-out - to be
used to action that - something like -
"CheckWareHouseStocklevel" with all the
necessary WSDL glue - that is then used by
the receipient to get the answer... again that
interaction model would have to be well
specified and the use case firmed up.

Some ideas to think about - but basically
I'm reinforcing what JJ is saying - I believe
wholesale changes to BPSS should be a
last resort.  First we need to see use cases
and value propositions that make sense -
then determine what extensions can support
those.

BPSS looks very good right now for its
intended mission - and our job I believe is
to educate the world to this with outreach,
tutorials, teaching - so people can start
to take advantage of it to document their
business problems and ultimately deploy
software to run those patterns.

Thanks, DW