Subject: [ebBP] 7/14/2004: WI-71 isLegallyBinding Resolution Proposed [RSD]

Discussion|OASIS.ebBP.WI71-Commitments and Enforceability;
Topic|;
Attachment|http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ebxml-bp/download.php/6697/ebbp-swedish-input-ubac-summary-v2pt0-042004.txt;

Point|v2.0 ebBP proposed resolution;

mm1@
In the last few months [1], we discussed some of the evolving
requirements to support international eCommerce and enforceability, and
the isLegallyBinding attribute in legacy ebBP. Questions raised included:

    * In February 2004 F2F, discussion item was raised when we spoke
      about WI 23 (Business document and envelope with more than one
      document, and substantive business documents and attachments).
    * Does this attribute on the BusinessTransactionActivity more
      accurately infer test or production capabilities? Note that
      flagging test or production does not appear to be interesting or
      applicable at the level of abstraction that ebBP operates.
    * What is the intent of this attribute and what potential
      responsibility does it infer on the technology?

Initial requirements exist:

    * In UBAC, legal conventions are more elaborate than a transaction.
      It is difficult to know that you have accurately mapped the
      contract formation process in the transaction.
    * The isLegallyBinding attribute has existed in ebXML BPSS since
      v1.01 [2-The text is provided below].  This text inline with the
      intent specified in the eCommerce patterns (see under Reference).
      That initial intent premise is still valid. [3]
    * If retained, flags could be placed on binary collaboration to set
      flags that apply to ebMS at a minimum.

Recommendation:

    * The more appropriate boundary appears to surround Intent not
      Binding.
    * Accurately define the intent of the isLegallyBinding attribute.
      The definition below I believe is fairly concise, in separating
      intent from bound responsibility. I think it should be emphasized
      and extended if required.
    * Propose to change isLegallyBinding to isLegallyEnforceable or
      isLegallyIntent.

Open Items:
1. Quantify how this might affect ebMS or CPPA. With the differentiation
between intent and binding, I think this may not elicit significant
changes or issues.
2. Determine if we need an element rather than an attribute in case
further constraints should be applied. Could the new 'variable' be used
to apply a constraint?
Would this assist in UBAC requirements?

[1] implementer discussions in April 2004, special session with UBAC,
editors' F2F (albeit briefly), for example.
[2] Excerpt from ebXML BPSS technical specification: I've highlighted
parts of the section with <<xxx>>.

"Trading partners may wish to indicate that a Business Transaction
performed as part of an ebXML arrangement is, or is not,
intended to be binding. A
<<<declaration of intent to be bound>>> is a key element in establishing
the legal equivalence of an electronic message to
an enforceable signed physical writing. Parties may create explicit
evidence of that intent by (1) adopting the ebXML
Business Process Specification Schema standard and (2) manipulating the
parameter ("isLegallyBinding") designated by the
standard to indicate that intent. <<<In some early electronic
applications, trading partners have simply used the presence,
or absence, of an electronic signature (such as under the XML- DSIG
standard) to indicate that intent. However, documents
which rely solely on the presence of a signature may or may not be
correctly interpreted, if there is semantic content
indicating that a so-called contract is a draft, or nonbinding, or the
like.>>> In ebXML, the presence or absence of an
electronic signature cannot indicate by itself legally binding assent,
because XML-DSIG signatures are reserved for other
uses as an assurance of sender identity and message integrity.""

[3] Solemnization (Note: I am not rendering any legal opinion or
definition, just providing the details provide to me on the original
definition and use of this term. I have spoken with OASIS regarding this
item.)