Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] [ebBP] 7/29/2004: WI-39 re: Acceptance Ack [RSD]

Dale,

"Business Acknowledgment" is a term wich is largly undefined and one can
simply give it a meaning by definition,stipulation.
"Acceptance" on the other hand is *welldefined* term occuring in almost
*all* countries *laws*. Using terms in wrong contexts only confuses
people, which is the case with BT and the signal in question.

Have a look a papiNet and their Business Acknowledgement
<http://www.papinet.org/V2R20/200401/documents/BusinessAckV2R20.pdf>

Where a positive BA is an indication that the automatic transaction was
successfully processed in receivers ERP system.

The definition given does *not* correlate with the term Acceptance in a
global business collaboration context.

Dale Moberg wrote:

>I am not certain that "Business Acknowledgment" captures the meaning of
>this signal accurately.
>
>The old Acceptance Acknowledgment indicated that the (received) business
>document had been
>
>1. checked to see whether it was a legitimate request and
>2. that those checks indicated that it had been accepted for a pending
>business decision,
>so that
>3. a firm commitment existed to inform the requester of the outcome of
>that decision in the agreed upon manner by the agreed upon time.
>
>This seems to be a more specific meaning than "Business Acknowledgment"

What does "legitimate request" mean? For whom is it legitimate and what
are the objectivly verifiable criterias?

What does "*accepted* for pending business decison" mean to the receiver
in legal sence? Almost nothing unless a side contract spells out the
terms & conditions related to it. A business meaning may be that the
requestor may decide to take a *risk* and act on it.

What does " a firm *comittment*" mean in a legal sence when the
requester does NOT know which decision that is to be taken?
What happens when the "firm commitment" is not fullfilled? Almost
nothing in above definition unless a side contract spells out the terms
& conditions related to it.

All in all, "Business Acknowledgment"  is a business signal that the
parties can risk acting on when received.

>in documenting the BP patterns from UNCITRAL

Please leave UNCITRAL out of the discussion since it has nothing to do
with BT and its current construction.

thanks
/anders

--