Subject: Re: ebBP 2/7/2005: Updated Combined Summary of BSI-MSI

Monica J. Martin wrote:

> Section 4: Language Overview
> ================
> FROM:
> The BSI is completely separate from the Message Service Interface
> (MSI). In particular an MSI MAY be used without a BSI. A CPA, which
> contains a reference to a ebBP definition serves as the basis for the
> configuration of the BSI to enforce the protocol and semantics of the
> ebBP definition, as depicted in Figure 1.

I would caution you that there are companies who have prior use of the
term "MSI" in the context of a programmers interface to ebXML MS
software.  Accordingly, it may be subject to trademark and/or
copyright.  I cannot verify this any further at this time.

Discussing concrete interfaces also violates one of the core principles
of ebXML in the architecture which was not to impose any specific
implementation style *where unnecessary* upon those building software.
Prescribing interface based design is one constraint that is not in
alignment with either the core requirements or architecture of ebXML.

Accordingly, it may be a better idea to discuss this as the association
with the messaging component of the architecture, not the interface.
Align the functionality abstract of the implementation.  Interface
descriptions are probably better handled in a JSR type group than the
core standard.

Duane

--
Senior Standards Strategist - Adobe Systems, Inc. - http://www.adobe.com