Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] Re: ebBP 2/7/2005: Updated Combined Summary of BSI-MSI

Gentle folks - this stuff goes back to CEFACT and the old EDI days
and the OSI layers... there's a lot of mists of time there - I'd hate to
try find who may have first proposed this, if indeed it was not just
a collective realization at the bar at some intermiable X12 meeting!

DW

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale Moberg" <dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com>
To: "Duane Nickull" <dnickull@adobe.com>; "Matthew MacKenzie"
<mattm@adobe.com>
Cc: "ebXML BP" <ebxml-bp@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 6:12 PM
Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp] Re: ebBP 2/7/2005: Updated Combined Summary of
BSI-MSI

Hi Duane and Matt,

I googled a bit on ebxml MSI and Messaging, and found

http://www.ebxml.org/project_teams/technical_coord/Ebxml-QR-TRP-Review-M
ar22.pdf

which discusses MSI in a document Copyright 2000.

ebXML Message Service Specification v0.98b
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
... of Review of Message Service Specification v0.98b Page 2 of 2
Copyright (c) ebXML
2000 & 2001. All Rights Reserved. * Clarification of MSH, MSI scope and
www.ebxml.org/project_teams/
technical_coord/Ebxml-QR-TRP-Review-Mar22.pdf - Similar pages

ebXML - Enabling A Global Electronic Market
    ... The product is easily embeddable via a Messaging Service
Interface (MSI) API and is configurable using OASIS ebXML CPA v2.0.
Registry is a metadata registry ...    www.ebxml.org/tools/ - 35k -
Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from www.ebxml.org ]

It seems that the acronymy "MSI" goes back a ways in the ebXML archives.

It has been used in various connections with "BSI."

I believe Stephano Pogliani, for example, was responsible for the
glossary usage.

As the URL above indicates, straightening out these acronyms has been a
persistent theme since early reviews. Confusion about them has also been
a persistent problem and Marty Sachs and I were several years ago
seeking to arrive at a common usage across the specifications. The
UNCEFACT and OASIS separation has maybe frustrated getting alignment on
the terminology and concepts.

I hope over the next few days or maybe the next week,  a short note or
appendix that 1. documents the (main) conflicting usages and 2. states
for BPSS 2.0 how they are using the terms, and 3. ask all the other
groups with an interest in this terminology matter to review the
proposals.

I think this might be a good thing to discuss in the JC meetings which I
hope to move to open up for general participation this Wednesday (at
Matt's recent request.)