Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp-comment] Public Comment

-------- Original Message --------
From: radha.arur@polaris.co.in
Date: Wed, February 22, 2006 4:57 am
To: Monica J Martin <Monica.Martin@Sun.COM>, "David RR Webber (XML)"
<david@drrw.info>
Cc: ebXML BP <ebxml-bp@lists.oasis-open.org>

David, Monica,

Thanks for the feedback. I have given my feedback in blue wherever comments
are requested or questions were raised.

One thing that is consistently missing with respect to the CPA - is the top
down trading partner management aspects.
Most people - given the high degree of technical tagness in the CPA itself
- tend to have the bottom up view of CPA.

My experience is focusing on how to use the Registry, CPA and ebMS together
to faciliate partner control / collaboration of wide communities.  So
partners can use CPA ID as a linkage mechanism that controls access,
versioning and interoperability.

-     Yes, the complexity exists because of overlapping functionalities
between registries and CPA.
-     Adding to that is the adherence of FERA reference guide mechanism so
that a B2B gateway can support, ESB, MQUEUE and Web service intermediation.
How far that fits with this specification?

This is an architecture and design realization that needs to happen.  So
the CPA is performing as an orchestration linkage tool - rather than just a
set of config' parameters for your ebMS...

Also - from the BSI perspective - we need profiles and templates - of
standard sets of configurations - such as "Normal Transmit", "Urgent Msg",
"Low priority Msg".  You can do this right now with CPA - but it does not
jump out at you as *the* preferred way of making CPA easier to do.

I guess a few pointers then on the BSI side - support context and role; use
templates; versioning; and exploit the feature set the architecture
provides to do top down collaboration integration.

The engineers can then take all the wonderful tagness available today - and
figure out how to provide that in a simple and coherent way that mere
mortals can use (hopefully!).

Your comments are definitely helpful in guiding how to package and present
the concepts so that can happen.

Thanks.

And of course - there are things - like the collaboration engine - that we
are scheduled to work in much more detail on for V3.0 now that V2.02 if
finally in the books!

>Feedback on ebxmlbP ver 2.0
>
>Good points:
>1. The distinction between Collaboration, Message and the interaction and
dependancies between Business Process Interface and Message Interface are
very well articulated.

>2. The definition of types of Gateways and the distinction between Binary
and Multiparty collaboration are very clearly defined.

mm1: Thank you.

>Suggestion for improvements:
>1.Though the distinction and the dependencies between BSInterface and
MSInterface are defined, it is not clearly specified (though suggested)
how the MSI can be used without BSI.  i.e Does the BSI remain redundant in
that situation?

mm1: Whether the business process delegates to the messaging
infrastructure is an implementation choice rather than dictated by the
specification. And, whether these are used together or individually is
also the same. Given the current capabilities of messaging services,
there are capabilities that are expected by the business process that
are not supported. Examples include: Acceptance Acknowledgements after
business processing on the business document is completed (either
successfully or otherwise). The ebBP team has had discussions surrounding:

  1. More specification of the handlers involved for messaging and the
     business service, which I believe is important in your question.
     This further specification or definition likely would fall outside
     of the core technical specification. No decision has been made
     whether it would be part of a primer or how-to guide, an
     additional white paper or other document. The glue has been seen
     to be the CPP/A between the two.
  2. To what degree specification should be made. One key point in our
     discussions has been the optimal balance between flexibility
     (given what is used at runtime) and the constraints placed on
     implementations if the definition assumes particular technologies.
     For example, we discussed at length that the BSI could be a
     gateway, a service, middleware, an application or any combination
     of these (or other possibilities we've not specified).

>2.Relation with other specification â€'
>    i.e how the CPA and CVV should interact with CQI â€' Customer
Information Quality TC recommended work?

mm1: I'd direct this question to CPPA team. I'll forward to that team
and cc: you.

 O.K â€' This is the most important implementation question that most of the
customers face in SOA space.  Also if customer information and another
activity which / is coupled with another business process can be depicted
as a complex business process, it will be all the more relevant or
important.

>3. CPA actually specifies the interface with access points defined by the
business process specification. Elaboration / clarification on  this
sentence? Does it mean BSI is CPA?

mm1: The CPPA articulates the technical mechanisms that configure a
runtime system and encourage interoperability between two parties that
may use different applications or software from different vendors. The
CPP/A defines the way two parties// will interact in performing the
chosen business collaborations. The BSI understands business
collaborations, the associated BTA, the business state, and the
encompassing conditions, constraints, and expectations of the parties
involved. The CPP/A currently supports the notion of business
transactions between collaborating roles. For example, the CPP/A
currently can provide a reference to timing parameters to a business
collaboration but technical mechanisms are yet to be defined to
accommodate (in CPP/A and in the underlying messaging). Another key
example is for web services. The business process defines a fairly
succinct way to map business transaction activities to an abstract name
for a web service operations. The technical mechanisms for the
interface, the namespace, access, etc. are actually defined by the
configurable capabilities in the CPP/A (as they should be). If this
further description assists in answering your question, is it sufficient
to articulate in the appendices to enable understanding by our user
communities?

> May be. Will also be of benefit, if the specification can include all
types of models that a versatile B2B gateway should support.

>4. Rules for the Collaboration Monitoring engine is left too much to the
discretion of the application and has not specified any framework or
guideline and may also take input how this interacts with F2F activity.
i.e How the messaging and collaboration layer work together is not
specified or not easily tracable.

mm1: See the previous comment that the implementation is not dictated
and why. That does not mean however we could provide additional guidance
for collaboration monitoring. In an anticipated subsequent version, we
intend to expand the status visibility capabilities, for example.
Whether or not such specification between the collaboration and
messaging layer should be in the ebBP specification is an open question.
Given what I have articulated thus far, a primer or white paper may be
the more appropriate mechanism. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

-     Separate white -paper may be a better option.

>5.Distinction between Business message and signal and the relation with
BSI may be explicitly mentioned.

mm1: The BSI understands both and their relevance to success or failure
(whether technical and/or business). If you look at Section 3.6.3 in the
technical specification (on public web site:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=16455&wg_abbrev=ebxml-bp

[pdf in .zip]), it discusses how business messages with an associated
business document and business signals relate to success or failure. If
we link these two discussions in the Appendices, Appendix A, will that
increase your understanding? The specification, appendices, and the
schema and documentation are used together.

-      A single reference will be easier.

>6. The difference between Substantive business message and normal
business message since both refers to the same in many situations.

mm1: We can increase the description to make this consistent. I will
work through in the specification where changes may be required. This is
editorial in nature.

-     O.k.

>7. Explanation of Relevance of state synchronization and state alignment
may need to be mentioned.

mm1: In Section 3.4.2 (see reference above for link), we do describe
this. I will go through the specification and see where this is
under-specified. We are clear in the specification that the expectations
of the parties and their shared understanding is imperative for business
collaboration. State alignment is key to enable that. I'll provide
further comments once I go through the specification more fully to
address your question.

-     O.k.

>8.Relationship to repository is very much at abstract level. May/ should
provide a better implementation recommendation.

mm1: This may be an excellent opportunity for a profile. We have had
some initial interest in one related to ebXML Registry/Repository.

>9. A sample implementation on how the specification can be used between
applications in the organization (especially for a complex business
transaction ) with the use of Fork, Decision and Joint Gateway will be
really useful.

mm1: We do have this in an example on the public web site (criminal
justice in the Netherlands). We will have more UBL v2.0 supported ebBP
definitions that do the same likely very soon. See:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=16436&wg_abbrev=ebxml-bp
.

- o.k. I will have a look at it. The more relevant one will be the one
-which is referred to a case mentioned in question no.2.

Radha Arur
This e-Mail may contain proprietary and confidential information and is sent for the intended recipient(s) only.
If by an addressing or transmission error this mail has been misdirected to you, you are requested to delete this mail immediately.
You are also hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and/or publication of this e-mail message, contents or its attachment other than by its intended recipient/s is strictly prohibited.

Visit Us at http://www.polaris.co.in