Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] Re: [ebxml-bp-comment] Public Comment

Radha: I continue as specified to address your questions.

 2. ebBP: On specific ebBP possible changes, I will address these
individually.

This email addresses part of the 2. item.  Thanks.

> >5.Distinction between Business message and signal and the relation with
> BSI may be explicitly mentioned.
> >
> mm1: The BSI understands both and their relevance to success or failure
> (whether technical and/or business). If you look at Section 3.6.3 in the
> technical specification (on public web site:
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=16455&wg_abbrev=ebxml-bp
>
> [pdf in .zip]), it discusses how business messages with an associated
> business document and business signals relate to success or failure. If
> we link these two discussions in the Appendices, Appendix A, will that
> increase your understanding? The specification, appendices, and the
> schema and documentation are used together.
>
>-      A single reference will be easier.
>
 >7. Explanation of Relevance of state synchronization and state alignment
 may need to be mentioned.

 mm1: In Section 3.4.2 (see reference above for link), we do describe
 this. I will go through the specification and see where this is
 under-specified. We are clear in the specification that the expectations
 of the parties and their shared understanding is imperative for business
 collaboration. State alignment is key to enable that. I'll provide
 further comments once I go through the specification more fully to
 address your question.

==========
mm2: Radha, in looking at this further, it is important in the technical
specification to identify the Document Envelope, the Business Signal and
the transitions and guards that lead to Success or Failure. Trying to
combine these may overload any given section. The same holds true for
state alignment. References exist in several of these sections so the
capabilities are tied together.  How about we try for an optimal
solution (reiterate try)?  Suggest minor changes to some sections, and
to Appendix A (referencing back to these sections and Section 3.6.3).
Note: Because there are several mappable references, I've optimized what
references are made. We talk about  Business Document Flows very early
in Section 3.4.3.  The same holds true for Business Signals in Section
3.2. I've also tried to, in tandem, introduce some changes relative to
your other question on state alignment, Radha.

==================================
Section 3.4.2
Change from:
A Business Transaction is a very specialized and very constrained
protocol used to achieve very precise and support enforceable
transaction semantics and achieve state alignment when needed between
both parties.

(just before we speak in detail about the BT patterns).... For instance,
a “reject purchase order” response document would be considered as a
Business Failure. In this case, it is the role of the applications to
mark the state of the purchase order appropriately.

Change to:
A Business Transaction is a very specialized and very constrained
protocol used to achieve very precise and support enforceable
transaction semantics and achieve state alignment when needed between
both parties.

(just before we speak in detail about the BT patterns).... For instance,
a “reject purchase order” response document would be considered as a
Business Failure. In this case, it is the role of the applications to
mark the state of the purchase order appropriately.   Success and
failure, the conditions and guards defined, and their relationship to
Business Document Flows and Business Signals is detailed later in
Section 3 (particularly Section 3.6.3).

Section 3.4.9.3
Change from:
The Business Signals are important for state alignment, and relate to
the characteristics inherent in the BT patterns described earlier in
Section 3.

Change to:
The Business Signals are important for state alignment, and relate to
the characteristics inherent in the BT patterns described earlier in
Section 3.  Business Signals and their relationship to success and
failure are outlined in Section 3.6.3.

Section 3.6.3
**OPEN**
Pend for open question to the TC: Evaluate figures 14 and 15 in Section
3.6.3 to ensure they are comprehensive enough to guide implementers like
Radha.

Appendix A
Change from:
Therefore, a BSI is:

    * A discrete set of business process states (results of Business
      Transactions) shared and aligned between trading partners.
    * A discrete set of Business Transactions
    * A discrete set of transitions between Business Transactions
    * The business rules governing (1) through (3).

Change to:
Therefore, a BSI is:

    * A discrete set of business process states (results of Business
      Transactions) shared and aligned between trading partners.
    * A discrete set of Business Transactions
    * A discrete set of transitions between Business Transactions
    * The business rules governing (1) through (3).

As indicated in the technical specification, this software component
recognizes the Business Document Flows and Business Signals, and their
relationship to the Business Transaction patterns (and business
semantics). These capabilities provide the baseline for shared
understanding, state alignment and inherently realization of the
expectations of the parties involved.