Subject: Fwd: Re: [ebxml-cppa-comment] AW: Re: [ebxml-cppa-negot] Issues for Discussion: templates and dummy values

Re-sending to correct a typo in the third paragraph (bold, italic, caps).

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:19:05 -0400
To: "Monica J. Martin" <Monica.Martin@Sun.COM>
From: Martin Sachs <msachs@cyclonecommerce.com>
Cc: "Vetter, Michael" <Michael.Vetter@iao.fraunhofer.de>, Sacha Schlegel <sacha_oasis@schlegel.li>, ebxml-cppa-comment <ebxml-cppa-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>, ebxml-cppa-negot <ebxml-cppa-negot@lists.oasis-open.org>

Default values are actual "usable" values of attributes and elements.  Default values are the values in a party's CPP. In the absence of need for negotiation, a CPA can be constructed using the two parties' CPPs and the resulting CPA is a usable CPA containing both parties' default values.

The NDD is supposed to indicate all elements and attributes that the party composing the NDD is prepared to negotiate. Dummy values are values provided in the CPA Template for elements and attributes that the party composing the CPA Template is prepared to negotiate with the other party but doesn't know suitable default values. Dummy values can be any values that enable the CPA Template to be validated against the CPPA schema.

As a result of the above, all elements and attributes in the CPA Template that contain default values are indicated in the NDD. Note that the NDD doesn't indicate the difference between a default value and a dummy value. However, since everything in the NDD has to be negotiated or at least accepted by the other party, it isn't clear that it matters whether a given value is a default value or a dummy value. It does seem that if the party composing the NDD expects that some elements and attributes in the CPA Template might be accepted AS IS, that party ought put usable default values in the attributes and elements of the CPA Template that describe its own properties. The party composing the CPA Template should use dummy values only for elements and attributes that describe the other party, where the party composing the CPA Template does not know suitable default values. The other party can then modify those dummy values as part of the negotiation.

Regards,
Marty