Subject: [ebxml-cppa] Fwd: ebxml ms, cpa and bpss signals question (1 of 2)

Reposting at John Yunker's request as he is not on the CPPA list (1 of 2).   Jamie

Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 08:24:44 -0700
From: John Yunker <john.yunker@bleuciel.org>
Subject: Re: ebxml ms, cpa and bpss signals question.
To: James Bryce Clark <jamie.clark@mmiec.com>,
        Rik Drummond <rvd2@drummondgroup.com>,
        "'Paul R. Levine'" <plevine@telcordia.com>
Cc: ebtwg-bps@lists.ebtwg.org, ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org

Jamie,

We had very spirited discussions about this issue as we were shipping BPSS 1.0.

We realized that the ebXML MSG signals were only addressing TECHNICAL alignment, and NOT BUSINESS ALIGNMENT (using the signals from RosettaNet 2.0 which only included technical alignment, as the business alignment properties had been stripped out -> (I was part of the team that built the initial release of RNIF 2.0 and was an author on that document - there were spirited discussions in that process as well)).

We added the RosettaNet RNIF 1.0 signal structures into ebXML MSG 1.0 as OPTIONAL properties, so that implementors that were only looking for technical application alignment, and were not looking for business alignment and enforcability did not need to use them.

The ebXML BPSS 1.0 spec was fuly aware of the MSG signals.  The BPSS level signal structures were added to allow legally enforcable contract formation.

FYI,
John