Subject: Pim's proposal on reuse of BusinessTransactionCharacteristics and MessagingCharacteristics, and some initial comments to open

Pim proposed that both BusinessTransactionCharacteristics and MessagingCharacteristics be considered for reuse within action bindings.

Two general kinds of mechanism for reuse are under consideration in the TC

1. using xinclude., (not currently utilized in CPPA but used in ebMS BPSS 2.0)

2. using our usual mechanism of IDREF.

To use mechanism 2, we would probably need several supporting changes:

1. PartyInfo would need to be modified to allow sequences of these elements as children.

2. An ID attribute needs to be added to the elements.

either

3a. Add an attribute for containing the ID value under DeliveryChannel (for idrefs to MessagingCharacteristics)) and under the various container elements for action bindings (for idrefs to BusinessTransactionCharacteristics)

or

3b Somehow modify the type for both MessagingCharacteristics and BusinessTransactionCharacteristics to allow for either a reference or to contain the attributes currently used).

There are certainly a lot of other alternatives.

Consider that MessagingCharacteristics will most probably need to be generalized for ebMS 3.0 support.

My action item to post the general issue and some potential ways to implement reuse is fulfilled. More specific proposals on changes to these elements are welcome.

We would like to have, if possible, instances of CPPA 2.* validate (after changes to the namespace and possibly prefixes) against the new schema).

We would also like to allow for writing simple xslt transforms to update previous CPPA instances to use new features.