Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] Reporting Mechanism for EbXML Errors?

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the feedback, you make a good point that the SOAP layer
_cannot_ be assumed to detect (and hence send a SOAP Fault for)
non-schema-compliant ebXML.

So the potential does exist for non-schema-compliant ebXML to reach the
ebXML tier.  My question then is, how should the ebXML tier report such
ebXML XMLSchema validation errors?

This spec snippet from MSS 2.0 seems to indicate that the ebXML tier has
two "over the wire" based error reporting mechanisms at its disposal:
(1) MSH Error Signal; and, (2) SOAP Fault.

----------
1265 An ebXML SOAP Message reporting an error with highestSeverity of
Warning SHALL NOT be
1266 reported or returned as a SOAP Fault.
----------

ie highestSeverity "Error" could warrant use of a SOAP Fault.

Now section 4.2.3.4.1 ("Reporting Errors in ebXML Elements") only seems
to address situations where the ebXML document is "well formed and
valid".  If by "valid" the spec intends "compliant to the ebXML
XMLSchema" then there seems to be no discussion on how to report an
XMLSchema validation error via an ebXML Error signal.  Does this mean
that the ebXML tier should only trigger SOAP Faults to report ebXML
schema validation errors??

Thanks and Regards,

Dave Elliot
XML Global Technologies