Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Groups - Multi-hop Section Draft 0.8 (ebMS3-Multihop V08-JD.doc) uploaded

Sander:

I don't think there is any need to alter the "core spec" or make an
errata.

The behavior that is described in:
8.3.2. Reliability of the One-Way/Pull MEP
Consists of sending PullRequest itself as a reliable message so that in
case the response (pulled message) was sent but lost on its way along
with the Ack for the PullRequest, then the resending of (exact same)
PullRequest will be followed by resending of (exact same) pulled message
that was persisted.
That behavior was the only way (except for the use of MakeConnection) to
get this pulled message (also sent reliably) as it had to travel over an
HTTP response.

Now we are in a multihop context, and I claim that this is no longer a
"One-Way/Pull MEP" that we are talking about. It is in fact something
like a "One-Way/Push-then-last-Pull", yet to be described. One-Way/Pull
MEP is only for point-to-point.
In that case, what is described in 8.3.2 does not apply ! And rightly
does not need to, as the pulled message, if lost, will actually be
resend not by the pulled Intermediary but by the original endpoint (a
pusher). So yes, PulRequest does not need be sent reliably in a
multi-hop context, and the receiving endpoint knows that it is dealing
with a multihop case based on the P-Mode associated with the pulled MPC.

Now you could contend that it is inefficient to have the message resent
all the way through, even if it made it so far up to the intermediary
where it is pulled from.
But in that case I'd say if you want this behavior, you will configure
an Intermediary so that it is RM-enabled, and separate the multi-hop
path in two reliable but distinct sections (and sequences). We could
describe this option, and in that case indeed the PullRequest would
comply with what is described in 8.3.2 as what we would have is a
chaining of "One-way/multipush MEP" + "One-Way/Pull MEP" for the same
message. But this is different from the initial case we were concerned
about.

So I think in both cases we comply with core spec.
Does that address your concern?

Jacques