Subject: Re: [ekmi] Your Data and the P2P Peril - InformationWeek article

Hi Arshad,

While what you suggest is excellent, it is not sufficient because
of human nature. Hardly anyone reads policy, or what's worse,
remembers the gritty little details, enforcement is frequently
spotty and can become very cumbersome - who will guard the
guardians? - education has the same limitations as policy and
must be renewed regularly, and application layer encryption by
itself does not provide a defense in depth.

The first element that must be looked at is not the technical
tools and processes, but rather what is it that is the absolute
minimum that must be protected? Reducing the volume of the data
protected will, to some degree, reduce the risk.

The second element that needs to be looked at, and is getting
almost no attention, is what do we do to assist those whose data
is leaked? A brief example will help you see what I mean. I'm
sure that we'd all agree that a driver's license number is an
example of a critical data element and must be protected.
However, no protection scheme applied after the initial
deployment of a document with a driver's license number in it
will provide retroactive protection.

So what can we do? I believe that the first step is designing
protections for people, not the abstract data, and it is this
that is the real goal of policy, enforcement, education, and
encryption.

To do this we need to make sure there are processes in place to
monitor, as best we can, the use of the data element in the
environment, much like the credit card companies do for
suspicious activity with your credit cards.

The second step is to provide transparency to the system so that
if your driver's license number is used in an abusive manner you
can get the record set straight without having to jump through a
ton of hoops like you currently do to get your credit record
fixed when your identity is stolen.

If these are done, then the whole bundle with application layer
encryption is much more likely to be effective at accomplishing
what our goal is - protecting people.

Now, before people start jumping up and down about this, the
reality is that a change to this way of looking at the goals is
only a matter of orientation and alignment to the real goals, not
any change to the basic idea of using technology to assist in
achieving our goals. True, it might mean some changes in the way
we create policy, enforce policy, educate people, and do
application layer, or other, encryption in terms of the logging
functions and providing signatures for actions, when they
occurred, where they occurred, and who did them in such a way
that they cannot be repudiated. This is not all that hard to do,
it would seem to me, at least in the corporate environment.

Doing the planning and executing on it will take lots of
coordination and effort, but would somewhat mitigate against the
current seesaw between the good guys and the bad guys in finding
weaknesses in any given piece of software or hardware.

The reason I suggest thinking this way is that I saw (sorry,
don't recall where) an estimate that given the current rate of
creation versus stamping out of software bugs, which is a
negative ~300K+ per year and it appears it may be getting worse,
we will never create anything close to even good enough
protection for people if we focus on the technology end rather
than the people end. Be real clear, I am not advocating that we
not do the technology, just that we focus our efforts more on people.

Best to all,

Allen Schaaf - CISSP, C|EH, C|HFI, CEI
Information Security Analyst - Business Process Analyst
Training & Instructional Designer - Sr. Documentation Developer
Certified Network Security Analyst and Intrusion Forensics
Investigator - Certified EC-Council Instructor

Security is lot like democracy - everyone's for it but
few understand that you have to work at it constantly.