Subject: EML Vocabulary

It seems to me that, sooner or later, we will run into a problem with
people using different definitions for the same term, or different terms
for the same concept. When this happens, we'll probably need to come to
agreement on a common term and common definition for those concepts we need
to refer to.

One possible solution is to use the terms and definitions that the US
Federal Election Commission (FEC) uses in it's Voting System Standards
(VSS) manual. Version 1.0 of the US VSS was published in 1990. The
standards are currently being revised. Volume 1 of Version 2.0 of the US
VSS is scheduled to be released for public comment on 29 June 2001. The
glossary from the new Volume 1 may be of use to us.

The final version of that glossary is not yet available. However, I do have
a draft version of it that was created on 01 August 2000. The draft version
is available at
http://www.technodemocracy.org/resources/US-FEC-VSS2-Glossary-2000-08-01.html

This glossary does not contain all the terms that we'll likely need to use.
It also contains terms that we won't likely need. Additionally, we may
decide that the definitions the FEC uses don't quite fit our needs.
However, they can be a starting point for us.

-Thom