Subject: Re: EML Vocabulary

In a message dated 5/23/01 5:11:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wysong@technodemocracy.org writes:

<< Subj:     EML Vocabulary
 Date:  5/23/01 5:11:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time
 From:  wysong@technodemocracy.org (Thom Wysong)
 To:    election-services@lists.oasis-open.org

 It seems to me that, sooner or later, we will run into a problem with
 people using different definitions for the same term, or different terms
 for the same concept. When this happens, we'll probably need to come to
 agreement on a common term and common definition for those concepts we need
 to refer to.

 One possible solution is to use the terms and definitions that the US
 Federal Election Commission (FEC) uses in it's Voting System Standards
 (VSS) manual. Version 1.0 of the US VSS was published in 1990. The
 standards are currently being revised. Volume 1 of Version 2.0 of the US
 VSS is scheduled to be released for public comment on 29 June 2001. The
 glossary from the new Volume 1 may be of use to us.

 The final version of that glossary is not yet available. However, I do have
 a draft version of it that was created on 01 August 2000. The draft version
 is available at
 http://www.technodemocracy.org/resources/US-FEC-VSS2-Glossary-2000-08-01.html

 This glossary does not contain all the terms that we'll likely need to use.
 It also contains terms that we won't likely need. Additionally, we may
 decide that the definitions the FEC uses don't quite fit our needs.
 However, they can be a starting point for us.

 -Thom

Dear Thom,

That is extremely helpful. I wanted to share an exchange of emails between
two Virginia election officials which reflects just this problem. I may even
be somewhat guilty in my response.

Best,

Deborah

Deborah M Phillips
Chairman and President
THE VOTING INTEGRITY PROJECT
"Defending Your Freedom By Protecting Your Vote"
www.votingintegrity.org
(888) 578-4343
PO Box 6470
Arlington VA 22206