Subject: RE: Election Results/International

Krishna
I've just replied to Tim along similar lines:
"Within our e-democracy programme here in UK, we are looking at all voting
that is required by statute. "

So we would probably want to include the type of voting suggested by
Alistair, but it will need to be addressed in the Policy Context document
produced in strand 1 of our programme.  Clearly we will need to get
agreement from all committee members to this scope.

So my response to Alistair at the moment is "probably but please wait and
see".

From: Krishna Sankar [mailto:ksankar@cisco.com]
Sent: 22 August 2001 18:20
To: election-services@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: alastair.green@choreology.com

Hi all,

	Here is a message from Alistair Green of Choreology, which, doesn't
look
like got an answer. Can we get back to him with an answer ?

cheers

Message : ------------------------------

I'm heavily involved in another OASIS TC (Business Transactions), which
might have relevance to your work (XML-based coordination, guaranteed
delivery, exactly-once semantics etc). However, that is not the cause of
my enquiry.

There is a great deal of current interest in automated shareholder
voting (e.g. CREST consultation in the UK, the custodian organizations
primarily centred in New York), as a result of dissatisfaction with
levels of institutional investor participation in governance of publicly
quoted companies.

Does your TC intend to address this commercial slant on voting? I
imagine that quite a few of the issues cross over from public to private
electorates. Another way of putting the question is: do you consider
multi-question elections -- vote on propositions 1 to 23, and do you
allow amendments and other meeting-related voting procedures to be taken
into account? Do you deal with quora? ...

Alastair

This email has been scanned for viruses by the MessageLabs SkyScan service
which is being trialed by the GSI from 10th August 2001 to 21st
September 2001. For further details, please see
http://www.gsi.gov.uk/main/gncnotices/gncinformationnotice5_2001virusscannin
g.pdf

In case of problems, please call your organisations IT helpdesk.

The Cabinet Office's computer systems may be monitored and communications
carried on them recorded, to secure the effective operation of the system
and for other lawful purposes.