Subject: Re: [election-services] Developing EML OSI core foundation tools

John,

We're not seeing the same experience here around
Registry and Hermes for ebXML as you are indicating.

Admittedly early adopters took more of a knock on this - but I
believe that now both projects - OMAR and Hermes have
reached critical mass and a stable delivery platform.

Hermes is a better example of packaging so that the average
Java programmer can download the toolset, install it, and
get it running within half a day.  I've personally seen 6 now,
on separate occassions, and with different skill-levels, all
succeed.  Hermes is installed in over 11,000 locations in
China alone - on government servers.

Similarly with OMAR - if you install it to PostGrepSQL - it
will work "out the box".  If you want some different SQL,
etc, it takes more work.  I'm on the registry-dev mailing list,
and we're standing up about one new instance every couple
of weeks - and typically it take newbies - with help from the
group about 3 days to get it running.  There are many more
moving parts to registry.  Total projects using OMAR now
exceed 50 - and NIST now has the fully function XDS server
system it is launching as an open source project later this
month.  It's built on top of Registry 2.1.

I have also managed a 4 man team for 6 months on an
NIH project where we configured 3 prototypes - all
using ebXML - and the *easiest* turned out to be
the open source tools.

Overall therefore I must say that my experience here
is a positive one - that is why I was anticipating that
we can create a SourceForge project with a library
of common EML handling routines that can
provide a foundation from EML-based solutions.

Thanks, DW