Subject: RE: [election-services] GAO VVSG response item #1

David,

This looks good. I am not sure why you split the types of records into two
categories (one specifying EML and one not). Also, should we only talk about
the transfer of records for EML since the process is just for reference?

You may have good reasons I don't understand for wording it the way you
have. Here is an attempt that makes these two changes:

<vote_process_terms>
Digital vote records, audit trail control and vote process configuration and
control scripts should be implemented, stored and prepared using open public
specifications and process definitions that can be independently verified
and with which compatibility can be certified. The transfer of such records
should use formats defined by freely and openly available public
specifications that utilize content markup language techniques such as the
widely adopted Extensible Markup Language (XML) syntax. An example of such a
format is the OASIS Election Markup Language (EML), which is royalty free
and provides open public license terms.
</vote_process_terms>

The only problem I can see with this is that the EML reference is in a
sentence by itself, and so is easy to just delete. Perhaps a greater
embedding into the text would help that.

Regards

Paul Spencer
Director
Boynings Consulting Ltd