Subject: RE: [election-services] GAO VVSG response item #1

John,

You are right. I thought originally that the implementation (including
things like OS, database systems etc) was referred to in the text when
talking about royalty-freeness, but after careful re-reading, it is clear
that it is only the public specification (ie standard) itself that has to
be royalty-free, which is quite normal.

So please forget about my previous mail and sorry for the confusion,

 Bernard

Bernard Van Acker
IT Architect
IBM Global Services
tel ++32 2 225 2939 mobile ++32 496 84 62 60
e-mail: Bernard_Vanacker@be.ibm.com

             "Borras, John"
             <John.Borras@legs
             b.gov.uk>                                                  To
                                       Bernard Van Acker/Belgium/IBM@IBMBE
             12/07/2005 15:59                                           cc
                                       "David Webber \(XML\)"
                                       <david@drrw.info>,
                                       <election-services@lists.oasis-open
                                       .org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [election-services] GAO VVSG
                                       response item #1

Bernard

The new OASIS IPR Policy requires us to state what IPR mode we are
operating under. Please see the new policy on the OASIS home page if you
are not familiar with it.  We have yet to formally agree our mode within
the TC and I will be addressing that shortly.  In my view EML has to be
royalty free as it belongs to no single government or supplier.  And
certainly with regard to GAO we should be recommending they use royalty
free standards.  So I for one would object to removing the text.