Subject: Re: [election-services] GAO VVSG response item #1

Bernard,

I believe the wording we have is exactly
and precisely what is needed to ensure
that as a specification OASIS EML offers
what governments and implementers are
looking for and need.

It's a long established priniciple that internationally
adopted specifications that have global reach and
legislative ramifications simply cannot be
encumbered by licensing or property rights
because that means immediate conflict of interest
and contracting and fair practice issues for
governments seeking to utilize those specifications.

Put simply - we cannot have a single company
"owning" some facet of a required voting process
component that is part of the government due
process.  By its very nature the voting process
belongs to all citizens as a fundamental right.

One of the problems with today's solutions is that
they are being single sourced, and thus we see
costs much higher than for typical equivalent
business applications (see note at bottom).

Second the objective here is to foster a community
developed open specification and again patented
and exclusive proprietary technology is the
opposite of that which is needed to support the
mission of creating interoperable and consistent
technology that is understood and not closed and
opaque.  Trust here is a vital aspect.  Trust can
only occur when every aspect of the voting process
is transparent and openly accessible.

Now in the past IBM has donated encumbered work
to international specifications with mixed results.
Clearly the preference is to have unencumbered
open specifications and especially as creating
foundation certification tools that are openly
available without encumberances,  that would
otherwise preclude broad adoption and use.

Since you mention it - to me this is the very
essence of standardization, as opposed to closed
proprietary systems based on exclusive IPR.

I would also mention that software itself has
changed fundamentally - in that with so much
being based on objects and components noone
is ever creating software entirely from ground
zero.  Everywhere they are including pieces and
solutions that someone else has already created.
Given that reality the ability for someone to
truely and honestly claim that they have invented
something new that is not self-evident and already
part of the public knowledge base is becoming
increasingly hard to envision.

Add to that that for our particular implementation
domain, so much of the behaviour and process
and methods are being laid out by legislation
and guidelines developed by governments and/or
technical groups setup and reporting to government
that this again mitigates against inclusion of
anything that someone may claim to have exclusive
right to.

Thanks, DW

Note on costs:  example Diebold DRE systems sold
to State of Maryland - unit cost $5,000 per device,
excluding maintenance and support services. Basic
parts that go into that device are $500 at retail.
Total cost to Maryland to date has been $80M,
and in 2004 elections those $80M of devices
handled 1.6M votes.  Thus cost of handling each
vote is around $50.  Essentially voting is filling
in a government form and turning it in.  Compared
to something like drivers license renewal,
birth registration, etc, $50 per form would be
greeted as a major scandal.  Therefore I would
conclude that today proprietary single source
solutions are grossly over priced; not cheaper!