Subject: RE: [election-services] Draft of Electronic Records Requirements - US Election Assistance Commission TGDC

Patrick,

Page 5-2 of the PDF appears to open the door for the requirement of standards such as OASIS EML.

The digital signature of the machine on 5-3 is also supported by EML.  In fact it may be that indirectly this is stipulating EML, because EML is the only viable option here.

Bit tough to review all this in 10 minutes.  I did see a note on this on Thursday last week - but felt this was again really not enough time - and also TGDC were not accepting public input today anyway - so there seemed hardly any point.

Could NIST have not shared this document with us MONTHS AGO?  Seems like they obviously have been working on this for some time here.

However - not knowing what else is in the document at this point - could we not ask if they want formal input from the EML TC?  If they do - then we could take time to go through this in some detail - section by section.

Thanks, DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [election-services] Draft of Electronic Records Requirements -
US Election Assistance Commission TGDC
From: "Patrick Gannon" <patrick.gannon@oasis-open.org>
Date: Mon, May 21, 2007 9:37 am
To: "'John Borras'" <johnaborras@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc: "'EML TC'" <election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>

John,

Below is the website for the ongoing meeting of the US EAC's Technical
Guidelines Development Committee. The meeting is being held on Mon & Tue,
21-22 May 2007.  Individuals can follow the proceedings via audio and
visual
webcast.

http://vote.nist.gov/meeting20070521.htm

http://origin.eastbaymedia.com/%7Enist/html/tgdc-0507/

Please consider reviewing chapter 5, Electronics Records Requirements,
found
in Volume 3, Product Standard, of the Voluntary Voting System Guidelines
draft document, "Draft VVSG May 15, 2007 (Compiled)".
http://vote.nist.gov/meeting-05212007/VVSG-Draft-051507.pdf

This draft is available for public review, so comments are
recommended.  An
evaluation by the OASIS E&VS TC of EML v5 against these requirements
may be
helpful for this review.

Best regards,

Patrick Gannon