Subject: Re: [election-services] Draft of Electronic Records Requirements - US Election Assistance Commission TGDC

Patrick

I've had a quick review of Chapter 5 and I don't believe there's anything there that EML v5 cannot handle, particularly utilising the flexibility and extensibility that we've built into the XML schemas.  Having said that the biggest aspect for us is not defined, ie
1.2.1-A Records required to be in open format.  The open format is not defined and that would be the real essence of determining whether EML v5 meets the specific needs of TGDC or whether it needs modifications.  Again though with the extensibility we've built in I would be very surprised if we could not meet their requirements.

It would be very interesting to hear where this is going.  If this is just to be the USA requirement then we could do a detailed response to it showing how EML can support it.  However if this is leading to the recommendation of a particular standard then why is EML not recognised anywhere as potential candidate?

I'm sure I don't have to tell you but we need to get things in the right order.  Requirements should lead to standards not the other way round.  So let TGDC set the requirement then we can build EML to deliver to it.   It would be folly for them to say EML is no good because it doesn't do what we want.  I've worked very hard in UK and the Council of Europe to get clear requirements so we know what EML has to support.  We know need that dialogue and understanding from TGDC and NIST.

Let me know when and how you need further input from the TC.

Patrick Gannon <patrick.gannon@oasis-open.org> wrote:
John,

Below is the website for the ongoing meeting of the US EAC's Technical
Guidelines Development Committee. The meeting is being held on Mon & Tue,
21-22 May 2007. Individuals can follow the proceedings via audio and visual
webcast.

http://vote.nist.gov/meeting20070521.htm

http://origin.eastbaymedia.com/%7Enist/html/tgdc-0507/

Please consider reviewing chapter 5, Electronics Records Requirements, found
in Volume 3, Product Standard, of the Voluntary Voting System Guidelines
draft document, "Draft VVSG May 15, 2007 (Compiled)".
http://vote.nist.gov/meeting-05212007/VVSG-Draft-051507.pdf

This draft is available for public review, so comments are recommended. An
evaluation by the OASIS E&VS TC of EML v5 against these requirements may be
helpful for this review.

Best regards,

Patrick Gannon
President & CEO