Subject: RE: [election-services] Re: Enhancing Referendum items handling

David

Thanks that sounds a much better approach.  Let's see what others think.

John

"David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info> wrote:
John,

OK - I just spent an interesting few hours investigating all this.

Paul is right - we need that reference information model!!!

What I determined is this.

1) The 600 series handles proposals / options / referendum items

2) The proposal / referendum model is slightly odd - notice that the linkage - name / description (lang) / referendum item ID - is a one to many to many relationship.

3) There are gaps in this - apart from the obvious fact you really want a 1-to-1 for description (referendum item ID) - the most obvious is the lack of ability to associate a response to an item/description - such as yes/no/abstain ... etc.

4) There is no way currently to link from 410, 510, 520 to proposal item in 600 (should be via name key token ) except via referendum item ID - but we already know from 3) that this may point to an indeterminate reference.

So - in order to resolve this - enable the re-use of the existing EML 600 stuff - and support referendum items cleanly.

1) Add a second structure varient to 600 Proposal series that is 1-to-1 for description / item ID
2) In that second structure varient support the yes/no/abstain response needs
3) Tweak the Candidate structure to add option of new Proposal item structure from 600

This actually appears to work very nicely with only minimal changes to the EML commons xsd - everything else then inherits those new capabilities.  It means you can now design a 410 that includes proposal items from the 600 directly (whereas before you could not).  Similarly the 510 and 520 counting and reporting now include the proposal items directly too.

And it leaves the current 600 processing untouched - so that however people were using it before is all there.  Ditto the Candidate handling details in the existing schemas.
I see now why you earlier said it was essential to provide the 600 series - instead of overloading Candidate.  What I see I have done here is closed the last piece of the puzzle and allowed the option to reference the 600 definitions directly from whereever "Candidate" exists today.

OK - so summarizing this at the XSD level - what I did was two things:

A) Extend the 600 Proposal structure to add an alternate referendum style layout

B) In Candidate structure definition - add optional ability to use a 600 Proposal item reference model, instead of the 230 Candidate model.

C) All these changes actually happen in just two places in the EML commons - and then are inherited via the includes.

Hope this makes sense to everyone - I will post these draft schema changes to the list so everyone can review them.

Thanks, DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)