Subject: Re: [election-services] Top 10 Reasons for using EML

Rich

We already have a Details paper - our EML White paper essentially explains all the Top 10 bullets, although the link between the two documents is not necessarily explicit.  Rather than write another document I would prefer to make the link between the two documents more explicit, or even make our new Top 10 list part of the White Paper.  I'll have a look at that over the next few days.

Whilst I applaud and agree with most of your ideas for EML v6, we have to be realistic and say based on past experience finding the necessary resources to produce the sort of things you've outlined probably won't be forthcoming.  This is not just a problem for this TC but for most OASIS TCs.  We have on our Wishes List a number of enhancements that we really should make to meet new requirements, plus the major activity of producing a data model which would help tremendously with the understanding of EML.  That together with David Webber's new approach using the CAM templates should enable us to  sell EML much easier.  I plan to call a TC meeting early in the New Year to plan v6 so we can debate all this then and hopefully I might see some new hands go up to do some of the work ......-)

M. +44 (0)7976 157745
Skype: gov3john

From: Richard J Cardone <richcar@us.ibm.com>
To: EML TC <election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Wednesday, 22 October, 2008 17:35:07

John,

The 10 points list looks good.  To enhance our argument, we might write a Top 10 Reasons for Using EML Details document to accompany the list.  The Details document would have the same structure as the list, but each claim and subclaim in the list have a explanatory section or subsection in the Details document.  Producing the Details document not only demonstrates that we justify our claims, but it would also help us strengthen and scrub those claims.

As far as EML 6.0 goes, we might consider focusing on usability and support rather than enhancement.  For release 6, we could develop in-depth tutorials; document best practices; develop localization templates, kits, or methodologies; and document case studies.  We could also try to engage practitioners in the field (like the VIP collaboration) to help us stay well-directed.  When I recently referred a student to EML as a technology to use in a research project, the student found EML to be rather complex.  Simplifying EML use in whatever way we can would be good thing.  We might consider not adding anything new to EML 6.0 unless a clear need from a real user has been demonstrated, or unless it truly simplifies EML usage.

Rich