Subject: RE: [election-services] [FWD: Microsoft offers free repository for agencydata -- Government Computer News]

Peter,

I've not looked into it to see.  Suspect its probably a self-certification model (re-using the code base they put out last year for virtual personal web folders et al and Silverlight no doubt).

So - it would be up to each authority to establish credentials - e.g. - thinking about the California 510 example for results.  I could create a front door page in the official SoS gov website - and then from there serve content from the cloud environment - and share those cloud links privately with trusted sources for upload - while people would come to the public page to see the content.

In the polling place logistics model - you'd need an accredited source - such as the EAC - so setup and administer access to the state and local content.  Alternatively - a commercial body may offer competing services - and the familiar user comments feedback model to vet quality of content. Funding would be advertising driven of course.

If you were doing the whole thing totally in the cloud - you would need some way to accredit your resource - presumably linking from an official site.  Google does a good job of search results based on linked sources of course...

DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [election-services] [FWD: Microsoft offers free repository
for agency data -- Government Computer News]
From: "Zelechoski, Peter" <pzelechoski@essvote.com>
Date: Wed, May 13, 2009 9:09 am
To: "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: "eml " <election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>

David -

It would be interesting to know how they will control the uploads; if there is a way that they secure the incoming information with public keys so that the provider is guaranteed to be the reporting government agency this might be an opportunity for us to show how it can / should be used.  That would help with the folks that don't see how it can work in the US.

I actually like the prospect of its use on the results reporting side.

- Peter