Subject: RE: [election-services] EML v6 : EAC REQUIREMENTS

Joe,

Do you have a link to that NIST set of samples?

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joehall@berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, May 13, 2009 10:40 am
To: "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: eml <election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 9:59 AM, David RR Webber (XML) <david@drrw.info> wrote:
> I'm deeply puzzled by this.  How do you develop test suites if you have not
> selected a standard yet?!?!?!

Well, IIRC the VVSG doesn't require a specific standard but lays out
certain requirements for data exchange and interoperability, one of
those requirements being that the standard is publicly available and
developed in an open process and available (hopefully, ISO
accreditation won't shut EML behind the ISO paywall). The suites
they're developing are available now for comment, so you can look at
the interchange test suites and see what exactly they do.

> Perhaps someone from NIST can explain how this is at all possible?

We'd really want to have a more direct dialogue with them to
understand what exactly they are thinking (e.g., the section of the
NIST response document that cast such a dim light on EML spends one
paragraph on EML and the rest of a page on IEEE 1622). best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
ACCURATE Postdoctoral Research Associate